Monday, September 20, 2010

NOT OUR PROBLEM

So much of this blog has been taken up with the never-ending calamities around the Emmarentia house: roof leaks, cable theft, rats, and clearing the jungle of a garden that we were left.

When I returned after a six month absence, I was struck by the increased deterioration of this place. But, the house had been sold “as is”. Buyer beware! So as frustrating as it is to have deal with the dozens of things that don’t work in this house, my new mantra has become “It’s not our problem anymore.”

We drank good South African bubbly last night to celebrate the fact that the real estate deal, brokered in May, has finally closed! We’re now living in someone else’s house and it’s really not our problem anymore! It is pure joy to utter those words!

The timing was perfect. We gambled that the deal would close this month and rented a place for October 1st. In less than two weeks, we are gone! Boxes are being filled, artwork being taken down, and the exodus begins nine months after having moved in!

What will I miss about this house? As a Northerner, I will miss the lemon tree. I have never gotten over the thrill walking out the kitchen door and picking freshly grown lemons whenever I need some. There are only a few left on the tree and it is just about to bloom. I hope it pops while we are still here as I expect it will be gorgeous. Also, I will miss having a gas stove and having a large office with French doors opening to the deck overlooking the pool. But are any of those things enough to hold me here? Never! Let the move begin!

I drafted this blog yesterday morning just before we were heading out for lunch (which turned out to be DIVINE!) at ROOTS restaurant where our wedding will take place. About an hour before departure, the power went out. Until we were ready to leave, it hadn’t dawned on either of us that without power, our gate won’t open. We were trapped! So there we were, nicely dressed, unsuccessfully taking apart the gate to escape our own home! All I kept thinking is, “This is no way to live!” Defeated by the gate, Glen was reassembling it while I went it in to call the restaurant to cancel our reservation. Then there was a shout from Glen, “The power’s on. Let’s get out before it goes out again!” Soon, very soon, this will not be our problem!!

No comments:

Post a Comment