Monday, March 8, 2010

Two Countries, Two Lives

It's 6 am in Toronto on Monday morning and I start my new production job today. The challenge: let's shoot 10 hours of television in 6 weeks. I've done it before. I'll do it again. What astonishes me, though, is how simple and easy the transition is from one corner of the planet to the other. I arrived home on Friday afternoon after flying for 20 hours, stopped to get a few groceries on my way home from the airport and-- wham!, there I was as back in Toronto as if I'd never left.Air travel still astounds me! I have always dreamed of travelling more slowly by taking a ship to cross the ocean-- spending seven days instead of seven hours to travel from North America to Europe. I have wanted to really feel the distance, to see nothing but the vast ocean for days, to do nothing but read and think of our predecessors who took a month or longetr to make the same journey.

I am so acutely aware of my two lives: Joburg is happily focused around my relationship with Glen. We do most things together from the most mundane chores and errands to the really fun stuff like travel, movies and theatre. Here in Toronto, my social life is abuzz. I have been home one weekend and have already been out for dinner twice with friends and to a beautiful and moving French film about the plight of illegal immigrants in that country entitled, Welcome. Next weekend is already booked-- a housewarming and Sunday brunch. I feel totally comfortable with both lives and both worlds. I am not sure I am able or even want to choose one over the other. Yet, I want and need BOTH-- Glen is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with yet I need the charm wit quirks and liveliness of my dear friends. Eish! Have I just seen my bi-country future?

No comments:

Post a Comment