Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We do things three times in Africa

Yesterday, the kitchen was painted for the third time and finally, it's been done right. Yet another technician arrived today to fix the lock on the security gate. The count on that on is at least 3 x 3! Full of bravado, he is sure he is the expert who can sort it out. I can overlook the ego if he can just get the damned thing to lock!

I have three workers here today-- the housecleaner, the gardener, and the painter. That also means making sure that there's food here to feed everyone-- I rely heavily on frozen meatpies, lots of bread, tea and Coke-- the workers foods of choice. Although I LOVE always having a clean bathroom and neatly ironed clothes, I do find it mildly uncomfortable when everyone is working here. What am I supposed to be doing? I'm no good at being a lady of leisure. It's a strange situation for a Canadian! Completing my part (as Sponsor) of Glen's Canadian immigration application has kept me busy until now. It taken an inordinate amount of time and that is nearly done but I can't face even looking at it today. However, it will be fantastic to get that process started!

I leave for Canada in three days and that is weighing heavily. I like to just be alone and let it all sink in but instead as soon as the Master Gate Fixer has completed his work, I will likely head out and do three errands in my little car that has been to the mechanic three times!

No comments:

Post a Comment